THE JOHANNESBURG ZOO
The Johannesburg Zoo was established in 1904, and historically, it has been owned and operated by the CITY OF
JOHANNESBURG. Recently, the Johannesburg Zoo was registered as a Section 21 (non-profit) company.
The core business of the Johannesburg Zoo is the accommodation, enrichment, husbandry and medical care of wild animals. The Johannesburg Zoo contributes to the quality of life of the citizens of the city through the following:
Education: Look after the environment, it is the only one we’ve got.
For all tours, school programs, holiday programs, and youth clubs, please visit the education centre.
Conservation: Zoos work with the trees while Parks work with the forest.
Research: Problem solving to improve the stability of wildlife. This is achieved through biological conservation, animal diseases information and medical care given to animals. The Zoo contributes to research in three main ways – own research, academic research and partnership research.
Recreation: Bringing a world of wildlife to your doorstep. Relaxation in a clean, green environment, a safe and healthy family recreational venue to spend quality time in an interesting and fun way. Accessible and affordable, the Zoo is the City of Johannesburg’s world of wildlife on your doorstep.
Have you ever thought about becoming an Animal friend at your local Zoo ?
How do you become an Animal Friend ?
* You choose your animal
* Decide how much money you want to spend per year
* Contact Teresa Slacke at (011) 646-2000 ext 262 or fax her on (011) 486-0244
Which animals are not available ?
All our Lions (white and brown) are sponsored by Anglo Gold so are not available at the moment
So who can you befriend ?
From Apes to Zebras – any animal in the Zoo except the Lions
* You animal cannot be taken home
* You cannot have physical contact with your chosen animal
* If your animal is no longer available, it will be transferred to another one of your choice.
* Your involvement is annually
* More than one person can befriend the same animal
* The fees may change on a yearly basis
What do you receive
* Personal satisfaction
* Animal Friend certificate
* Zoo entrance vouchers
* R1000-00 and more – your name on an adoption board in the Zoo
Other Zoo Activities
* Birthdays, special occasions, festive season and Valentine gifts
* Fund-raising and community awareness for schools and companies
* Or just for yourself and your family
If you have decided to become a Animal Friend
Remember to contact:
Tel: 011 646-2000 ext 262
Fax: 011 486-0244
Teresa is available during weekdays only
Contact details for Venue Hire: 011-646 2000 ext 223 or 263
There is a wide variety of venues for different sized groups of people and with unique and beautiful surrondings.
Private Bag X13
Jan Smuts Avenue
Main public entrance
on Upper Park Drive
Telephone: (011) 646-2000
Fax Number: (011) 486-2866