select * from pageinfo where siteid=3 and pageid=2083 and row=2 and col=1
|NEWTOWN MUSIC CENTRE (FORMERLY MEGA MUSIC) The Newtown music centre has long been a popular venue for music concerts, recording launches and performances. It has recently been refurbished and is now under management of the Music Industry Development Initiative (MIDI) Trust.
It is open for business and can be used for music rehearsals and dance training space, and has a resource centre. Great musicians like Hugh Masekela, Femi Kuti, Letta Mbulu, Sipho Hostix Mabuse, Salif Keita, Taria Maria and M'chelle N'dege O'chello, to name a few, have graced the stage of the music hall, which has also played host to varied genres of music, from hip-hop, mbaqanga, soukos, jazz, kwaito and kwasa kwasa. Under the management of the MIDI Trust, the Newtown Music Centre and indeed Newtown, holds a promising future for both established and up-and-coming performing artists. Umoja-The Show, the internationally acclaimed musical has also performed at this venue.
The venue is also used for training for music and related industry stakeholders.
Open Monday to Thursday 9am-5pm, Friday 9am-4pm
* Acts as the head office for the MIDI Trust which emphasises training and education, information dissemination and industry development.
* Offers training and conferencing facilities.
* The music hall has capacity to hold 1000 spectators.
* R3,5-million was spent to refurbish this venue.
* Has state of the art recording studios for professional and demo recordings.